Saturday, July 24, 2010

Here be giants

I was walking home from the Moon late at night when I spotted a hulking shape moving rapidly down the road towards me. It was too big to be human and too small to be a car. I stopped in the middle of the road to see if I could figure out what it was in the darkness.

Turns out, it was a human -- a giant human riding along in one of those little electric wheel chairs or scooters or whatever you call them. He was so big, his body dwarfed the actual machine that was moving him, so at first glance it looked like he was just kind of levitating down the street in a sitting position, belly first.

Satisfied with my discovery, I continued to cross the street.

"Hey, man!" he called out.

Normally in these situations I would pretend to be deaf and run home to hide. But, I had just had a very good time at the Moon, so I was in a good mood.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Do you smoke?" he asked.

I held up my empty hands. "Sorry, I don't have any," I said.

"No," the guy said, continuing to roll towards me. "I didn't ask if you have any cigarettes. I asked if you smoke."

"Oh, no, sorry, I don't smoke," I said.

"Aw man," the guy said, sighing heavily, "I've got these two packs I was hoping to trade for a beer."

"Sorry," I said again, shrugging.

"Oh well," the guy said. "I've already had enough beer tonight, anyway."

"Me too," I said.

Then I went home and drank a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment