Monday, February 29, 2016

Romancefest 2016: Notting Hill

NOTTING HILL was the first DVD I ever bought and I never saw the movie until the other day. That's because I bought the DVD for my mom for Christmas, even though she didn't have a DVD player back in 1999. Still, I was pretty sure I was going to get one for Christmas, so why not.

Of course the movie is famous enough that I've picked up the basics over the years: ordinary guy Hugh Grant lives in a cute, quirky neighborhood, falls in love with a visiting movie star (Julia Roberts) and lives with a crazy scene-stealing roommate (Rhys Ifans).

Knowing all that is one thing, enjoying the fun and romance of the movie is another. And there's lots of fun and romance. It's a light-hearted, breezy, happy affair, directed so well by Roger Michell and written so cleverly by Richard Curtis, that I would imagine it'd be great even without two heavyweights in the leads. Of course we never have to find out because here we've got Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts, royalty among movie stars.

I've sung both their praises throughout the rest of Romancefest but let me do it again: they're good, especially together, and it's really heartwarming how they find something resembling real love, as opposed to Hollywood love.

And, Rhys Ifans is just as funny and scene-stealing as everyone has been saying the last decade and a half. Plus, Alec Baldwin's in it!

It's no wonder my mom liked this flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment