Monday, February 26, 2018

Romancefest 2018: How Stella Got Her Groove Back

Let’s head into the 90s for Kevin Rodney Sullivan’s HOW STELLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK, based on a novel by Terry McMillan. When I had my first movie theater job, this movie was playing, and I remember being aware of the time in the film the steamy shower scene took place, and was once able to trick the projectionist into inspecting the theater just as Taye Diggs’ ass appeared on screen. At the time this seemed like a great prank but looking back I feel like the projectionist was the winner there.

Angela Bassett stars as the title character who is successful stockbroker and single mother who heads to Jamaica with her college friend (Whoopi Goldberg) for vacation. There she meets a local who is half her age (Taye Diggs) and at first reluctantly, and then enthusiastically, enters into a relationship with him.

It’s funny what you assume a movie is about before you see it. I’d seen enough of this flick to think the whole thing took place in Jamaica and was all about how Bassett is all uptight and boring but then learns how to get back in touch with her fun youthful side by dating Taye Diggs. Like, she gets her groove back.

Turns out it’s just about the difficulties of dating a dude half your age. That’s fine, it’s just not really what I thought I was signing up for. Although the movie’s probably a little longer than it needs to be, overall it’s well made, and has a likable cast (especially Goldberg) so I enjoyed watching it.

Funny side note: in the introductory scene to Whoopi Goldberg’s wacky-best-friend character, I thought, “Hey she kinda reminds me of my favorite guy, Hollywood, from MANNEQUIN.” Seconds after thinking that, Goldberg’s character arrived at work – WINDOW DRESSING A DISPLAY IN A DEPARTMENT STORE. Just like my main man.

No comments:

Post a Comment