Sunday, January 10, 2010

I can't tell you why we're friends.

I was walking to meet a friend from high school the other day, and on my walk I was thinking up things to talk about. It's not that we don't have anything to talk about, but I was still thinking, anyway, and I decided I'd ask her why we're still friends.

The reason I decided this was because she doesn't really seem to be friends with anyone else from high school, at least, not very close friends, anyway. I don't consider myself the most friendly person in the world and I've messed up enough relationships to know I'm not the easiest person to put up with, and the girl in question is fairly sensitive and not really one to put up with other people's bullshit. So, I wondered, of all the people to still be friends with from high school, why me?

Anyway, we talked about it, and as her face changed across the table I could tell maybe it wasn't the best topic of conversation, but we went over it anyway.

That's not the interesting part.

A week or two later, we were hanging out again, and she said:

"I thought about that whole friendship conversation. And I figured out why we're really still friends. I mean, beyond the reasons we discussed before."

"What is it?" I asked, intrigued.

"I can't tell you," she said. "But, I figured it out."

This drives me crazy.

1 comment: