Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Romancefest 2021: The Child


Just when I thought I was running out of online lists of romance movies to use to help build Romancefest, I found a new one. But it has some strange choices in it, as far as "romance" is concerned -- it'd probably be better classified as a "relationship movie" list. Maybe I'll have to change the name of Romancefest. Then again, maybe I won't. 

In case you're wondering, Romancefest is what I do to myself every February: watch one romantic movie for every day of the month, preferably one I haven't seen before, and write about it. This year I have all my movie watching done but the clock's ticking on writing about them. I guess I better get to it.

THE CHILD (Belgium, 2005)

Written and Directed by Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne

Starring Jeremie Renier and Deborah Francois

This bleak tale of a few rough days in the lives of a young semi-homeless couple starts sad and gets worse: our teenage lead has just given birth, and has to walk around town to find the father, her boyfriend, who is currently living under a bridge because he's rented out their apartment for some quick cash. This guy's a real catch, in his early 20s running a gang of tweenage petty thieves, and blowing what little scratch he comes up with on dumb things like leather jackets and day-long sports car rentals. He barely acknowledges his new child, until he learns he can make some good money from selling it.

There's a little bit of romance early on when you're hoping things will turn out all right for this crazy couple. Maybe they can make a go of it, maybe they'll rise to the occasion. They seem to really love each other as they wrestle and play like children. But this hope gives way to an impending sense of doom as, in the span of just a few harrowing scenes, Dad goes from contemplating selling his baby to actually going through with it, and once he's done it, spiraling into worse and worse situations as he tries to undo his actions, which obviously destroy his relationship.

So, it's a tough watch, and not what most would consider a traditional (or any other kind of) romance. But, it's compelling from beginning to end and I do have to admit I've never seen anything quite like it. So all in all, a worthwhile beginning to Romancefest 2021.


No comments:

Post a Comment