Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Romancefest 2021: Days of Being Wild

Written and Directed by Wong Kar-wai

Starring Leslie Cheung, Andy Lau, Maggie Cheung, Carina Lau, Jacky Cheung and Tony Leung

Hong Kong, 1990

This is not the first Wong Kar-wai film of Romancefest -- in previous years I've checked out his more recent, and more famous, efforts, CHUNGKING EXPRESS and IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE. Having loved those flicks, I was pretty excited to see this, his second movie.

Ultimately, I was a little let down. Yeah, I can see his style in there and it's clearly an early entry into what would become a great filmography, but having been pumped up to expect something really transcendental, I was a little underwhelmed. I know it sounds dumb -- complaining a perfectly fine movie wasn't as great as a couple of sublime ones. So, don't get me wrong, please. It was just a little less narratively satisfying for me.

The story follows a playboy in 1960s Hong Kong as he starts and ends passionate romances with women who have their hearts broken in his wake. Along the way, there's a love triangle and a sweet unrequited relationship as well.

Probably the most memorable scene is early in the running time, although referenced throughout -- a scene in which the main character asks the girl he's trying to pick up to spend a minute of time with him, watching the clock as it goes by, and claiming now they'll never forget that one minute they spent together, and that they'll be one-minute friends forever after. It works on her, and it worked on me, because it's good.

I hope to watch this movie again some time. It's the kind of movie where I have a hunch subsequent viewings will bring it into more focus. I wish I had seen it back in the 90s when it came out. Back then I had time to watch exciting new things over and over. Now, I guess I still have the same amount of time, it's just harder to spend watching something I've already seen that it used to be. This one deserves another look. I promise I'll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment