Monday, May 18, 2009

Eye Patch Man and Concession Guy

I went to see the original 3:10 TO YUMA at the Laurelhurst the other day. Ever since the remake came out I've wanted to see the original, haven't gotten around to it until now. I liked the remake, the original was good, too.

My favorite part was when Van Heflin said, "So, you're quiet like me. Well, shut up then!"

Anyway, I like going to old movies at the Laurelhurst. There are almost always old people there, and it makes me happy to think that they're going to see movies that would have been new when they were my age, or maybe younger.

This time, there was an old couple who kind of leaned on each other as they walked, propping each other up. The man had an eye patch. The woman couldn't hear very well, so the man had to repeat things to her, though he didn't do it during the movie (at least, not that I could hear).

When the movie let out, I hadn't finished my beer yet, so I sat at a booth in the lobby to drink it and observed this old couple going up to the concession stand to make small talk with the guy working there.

They knew him by name, so it looked like this might be a usual thing for them. The man discussed the film with the guy at the concession stand, and eventually they came upon the subject of the remake.

CONCESSION GUY: You know, they remade this movie a year or two ago. It was pretty good.

EYE PATCH MAN: What? They remade this? I didn't know that. It must haev had a different name.

CONCESSION GUY: No, it was still called 3:10 TO YUMA.

EYE PATCH MAN: How did I miss that! Who starred in it?

CONCESSION GUY: Russell Crowe.

EYE PATCH MAN: Oh! I like Russell Crowe! (turns to wife) THEY REMADE THIS MOVIE WITH RUSSELL CROWE!

WIFE: Ooooh.

Anyway, after that the conversation disippated and the couple walked arm-in-arm out into the sunny day. I finished my beer and walked out as well.

I hope when I'm older I will still go to movies. And, as much as I like to sit alone in the dark, I hope I'll have someone to go with.

No comments:

Post a Comment