Monday, February 25, 2019

Romancefest 2019: Revanche

Written and Directed by Gotz Spielmann
Starring Johannes Krisch, Irina Potapenko, Ursula Strauss and Hanno Poschi
Austria, 2008

An ex-con turned brothel strongman plots a bank robbery so he can run away with his prostitute girlfriend. Unfortunately things don’t go their way and he finds himself taking refuge in the country with his grandfather, who lives near a cop and his wife who are embroiled in this crime as well.

Going into this movie, based on the title and the subject matter, for some reason I assumed it was going to be a blood and guts fueled revenge story, so I was braced for an unpleasant time. And there are a couple of unpleasant scenes, but for the most part this film was very beautiful with lots of contemplative shots of nature and quiet, introspective moments. I’m always happy when something like this comes out of nowhere and surprises me because it makes stunts like watching 28 movies in 28 days feel worth while. I probably would have never watched this movie otherwise, and now that I have I know it will stick with me for being an original, thoughtful, suspenseful and character driven twist on the revenge genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment