Monday, February 25, 2019

Romancefest 2019: Set It Up

Directed by Claire Scanlon
Written by Katie Silberman
Starring Zoey Deutch, Glen Powell, Taye Diggs and Lucy Liu
U.S., 2018

Two struggling young assistants conspire to match up their two successful but difficult bosses in order to get some time for themselves only to realize the real match they’re making is a love connection between themselves.

I wasn’t sure of this one going into it because although I was familiar with Lucy Liu and Taye Diggs as the bosses, I’d never heard of the young leads and unknown leads plus fluffy Netflix rom-com could equal boredom. It turns out the leads I’ve never heard of are not only likable and funny, but also have great chemistry. So, the rest of the movie was easy to like. My only complaint might be that I wanted both bosses to be more three dimensional – I wouldn’t have complained if everyone worked everything out in the end, and not just the young couple. But, that’s a minor complaint for an otherwise better than average romantic comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment