Monday, April 6, 2009

In which Charlotte Roasts Me

I think the spiders who live around my apartment building are trying to kill me.  But it wasn't always like that.

I used to think the spiders were just forgetful.  See, they constantly build their webs in areas I routinely walk through.  So, maybe I don't use my back door for a couple days.  The spider that lives back there thinks it's cool to build a web spanning between my door and the porch railing, and no sooner is it complete than I come home one afternoon and walk right through it.  I figured, if I went through that way every single day the spider would probably give up, but since I only use that entrance some times, the spider forgets.  The same could be said for my front door.  And the passage way back to the recycling bins.

The other evening, however, when I was returning from the store, I walked through yet another web and a thought struck me:

Maybe the spiders are building their webs in high traffic areas in a specific attempt to capture me.  Once captured, I'll be helpless and they'll eat me.

Unfortunately for the spiders, if this is their plan, they did not take into account the fact that I am much too strong for their pitiful webs and can easily smash through them like Godzilla through Tokyo.

To be fair, aside from these attempts on my life, I like the spiders at this apartment better than the ones in my last apartment.  I haven't seen a single spider indoors since I've moved here, which means they're respecting my boundaries, even if they are using those boundaries as choice spots for traps.

Also, the other day, one of them spelled out "Some Pig" in her web, right over my front door, which I thought was hilarious, if a little close to the bone (I was carrying home a pizza when I first saw it).


2 comments:

  1. There used to be a doorbell at my place, but it has since been removed and now there is a small cavern in its stead. Whenever I would come home, I'd look down and see a spider staring out at me like he was some arrogant doorman mad about his dwindling tips. I would smile and pass through quickly, shaking my head at his gall. Looks like it all finally got to him, because now every time I check, there's only a lack of a doorbell and no one to greet me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered placing a piece of tape over the doorbell? I often consider this myself, and would like to add a sign that reads, "Bell out of order. Please knock."

    ReplyDelete