Friday, February 28, 2020

Romancefest 2019: Footloose


Written by Dean Pitchford. Directed by Herbert Ross. Starring Kevin Bacon, Lori Singer, Dianne Wiest and John Lithgow. USA, 1984.

I try to watch movies I’ve never seen before for Romancefest, but I make exceptions here and there for movies I saw so long ago that I might as well watch them again and FOOTLOOSE is one of them. The tale of the town where dancing is outlawed and the raffish ne’re-do-well new kid in town who liberates the youth when he brings dancing back.

Of course Kevin Bacon is great as the dancing rebel with a cause, and the soundtrack is great as well, not just for the Kenny Loggins hit but everything else as well. This time around Chris Penn’s performance as a country kid who can’t dance and learns from Bacon captured most of my attention. My favorite sequence by far was learning-to-dance montage, and I liked the “love” story between Bacon and Penn even more than the main one with Lori Singer. I also noticed this time that John Lithgow, as the preacher behind the dance ban, actually plays a believable three dimensional character and not the reactionary monster that I remember from my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment