Friday, February 28, 2020

Romancefest 2020: Literally, Right Before Aaron


-->
Written and Directed by Ryan Eggold. Starring Justin Long, Cobie Smulders, Ryan Hansen and John Cho. USA, 2017.

A woman invites her ex-boyfriend to her wedding and all hell breaks loose.

This one was a little confusing. I wasn’t sure what the point was. Normally it annoys me when people say, “What was the point.” Well, what’s the point of any movie? To be a movie. I guess what I mean is, watching the flick, I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to feel about the main character, played by Justin Long. He doesn’t really seem to learn anything – just gets more and more destructive as the film progresses. The movie’s especially mean-spirited towards a woman unlucky enough to be Long’s date for the wedding (Kristen Schaal). I guess we’re supposed to think it’s funny he doesn’t treat her very well because she’s a little weird? Or are we supposed to hate him for it? I couldn’t tell. There is one moment of near enlightenment with Luis Guzman as a champagne-swilling member of the catering staff at the wedding, but that’s a small oasis in an otherwise bleak tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment