Friday, February 28, 2020

Romancefest 2020: Juliet, Naked


-->
Written by Tamara Jenkins, Jim Taylor and Evgenia Peretz. Based on the novel by Nick Hornby. Starring Rose Byrne, Ethan Hawke and Chris O’Dowd. USA/UK, 2018.

A professor by day, music blogger by night, obsessed with a reclusive 90s musician, comes into possession of the demos to that musician’s masterwork. After a list, his girlfriend gives it a negative review on his message board, opening up a line of communication to the reclusive rock star himself, who enters into a relationship with the girlfriend that changes both of their lives.

I was pleasantly surprised with how nice this movie was. I guess I should have known it would be good since it’s based on a Nick Hornby novel (one of the ones I haven’t read!). I’m a big Ethan Hawke fan, so it was nice he got a ton of screen time as the reluctant rock star that comes out of his shell thanks to his new romance. This leads to reconciliations with his many estranged children (and some non-reconciliations). And, of course, I’m a sucker for all the UK locations. I want to visit that small town!

No comments:

Post a Comment