Friday, February 28, 2020

Romancefest 2020: To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You


-->
Written by Sofia Alvarez and J. Mills Goodloe. Based on the novel by Jenny Han. Directed by Michael Fimognari. Starring Lana Condor, Noah Centineo, Jordan Fisher and Anna Cathcart.

Hey, just my luck, this sequel came out literally the day after I saw the original. So I was able to catch up on the adventures of our plucky heroine right away instead of having to wait a year or two. This time around, she’s still dealing with the fallout from her leaked love letters, helping out in a retirement home, and trying to figure out what to do with her boyfriend now that she has him.

The interesting thing about this movie is that it explores what happens after the “happily ever after” ending. So right away that sets it apart from a lot of otherwise similar movies. In some ways this makes it more unique than the original, but I still think I preferred the original, if only because it was my first exposure to these characters. Also, without giving too much away, in some ways it sort of ends where it begins, and these kids being high schoolers and all, and me being an old man, I was kind of hoping there might be a different outcome. Still, both of these movies are important because they’re not just about trying to hook up with the person of your dreams, they’re about how you make things work once that happens, and how you remain an individual while also integrating a relationship into your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment