Saturday, February 29, 2020

Romancefest 2020: Destination Wedding


Written and Directed by Victor Levin. Starring Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves. USA, 2018

The brother and ex-girlfriend of the groom meet on their way to a destination wedding and bicker their way through the rehearsal dinner, the ceremony and the reception. They also fall in love.

With the only two speaking roles in the film filled by Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves it is no wonder I liked this movie. The dialogue is sometimes a little overwritten but I’d rather take a little bit of that than a bunch of clichés, and you won’t find many here. I mean, the basic idea that they hate each other at first and then fall in love is a tale as old as time, but all the specifics are very unique to these two characters and I never got tired of listening to their conversations. It’s funny because I checked out a review of this movie after I saw it and the first one I saw said how insufferable the two leads are, and how they couldn’t stand having to listen to them complain, etc. So I guess this isn’t for everyone. But it was for me! I haven’t seen Keanu Reeves in anything other than action movies in a long time, so this was nice for a change, and he and Ryder have easy chemistry with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment