Saturday, February 29, 2020

Romancefest 2020: The Wedding Year


Written by Donald Diego. Directed by Robert Luketic. Starring Sarah Hyland, Tyler James Williams, Jenna Dewan, Matt Shively and Anna Camp. USA, 2019

A couple’s brand new relationship is put to the test when they find themselves faced with seven weddings to go to in just one year.

This movie ended in a better place than where it started. At the beginning, I was worried this was going to be another soulless act of cynicism like “F the Prom” but halfway through the movie started to surprise me and it got to a place where I actually cared about these people. I had no doubt they’d end up together, but it got me to root for them, which is more than I can say for a lot of similar movies. A lot of the wacky wedding hijinks are pretty sitcommy but the stuff at the back end of the movie where the lead character actually grows and changes is pretty nice and at 90 minutes, worth waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment